If your dog is not CKC registered

Effective January 1, 2002 the Canadian Kennel Club is issuing Performance Event Numbers (PEN). A PEN number allows an unregistered dog (means a dog of a CKC recognized breed that cannot be registered because of unknown parentage or the unavailability of its registration papers) of a registerable breed to participate in those events that are for the breed. These competitive events are Obedience, Tracking, Herding, Draft Dogs, Agility, Lure Coursing, Earthdog Tests, Hunt Tests, Working Certificate Tests and Pointing Field Dog Tests.

In order to receive a PEN the dog must meet the following conditions:

  • Be of a CKC recognized breed
  • Be unregisterable
  • Proof of being spayed or neutered.
  • Not on a miscellaneous class list, in that miscellaneous class dogs are ineligible to apply for and receive a PEN.
  • In the case of a foreign dog, it must have an AKC ILP number and must be of a breed recognized by the CKC.

Applying for a PEN:
Complete the appropriate CKC PEN application and submit the following documentation:

  • Two recent and clear photographs of the dog in standing position (One full frontal view, one full profile). ┬áThe photographs must be signed and dated by a veterinarian confirming type of breed and size of dog, i.e “Dachshund”.
  • A veterinary certificate confirming the dog has been spayed or neutered.
  • The dog must be identified with a CKC approved microchip: this requirement is not necessary for ILP dogs.
  • If the dog is co-owned, all co-owners must sign the application.
  • A statement as to why the dog cannot be properly registered with the CKC
  • Include the appropriate fee as noted in the CKC fee schedule.

Upon meeting the above requirements, a PEN number will be issued. On receipt of the PEN the owner may enter those events that the dog is eligible to enter. Should the dog’s ownership change a transfer of PEN number must occur by completing the back of the PEN certificate and sending it to the CKC. Dogs that are eligible for a PEN may not be entered as a listed dog and may only enter in events after obtaining a PEN number. Any dog subject to these provisions entered without a PEN will have all of its wins automatically cancelled. The CKC may cancel for cause any previously issued PEN number.

To apply for a PEN, go to the CKC website (www.ckc.ca). Go to CKC Services on the mail menu bar and look for Forms On Line. Under Forms, go to Shows and Trials. Then go to the Performance Event Number Application.

Forward your request for a PEN to:
The Canadian Kennel Club, Shows & Trials Division 100-89 Skyway Avenue, Etobicoke, Ontario, M9W 6R4
PHONE: 416-675-5511, FAX: 416-675-6506

It can take some time to get a PEN, so if you are planning to enter your dog in an Earthdog trial, please make sure you give yourself a lot of time.

*** Information compiled from various websites.

Canadian Kennel Club

DogGoneGood Training Forum